Purple Grackle

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Library of Misfit Decorative Items.






I did extensive research on a method for refinishing my floors: stained concrete.

We moved in here four years ago, and I've had to endure the horror that is builder's grade wall to wall carpeting, in gray. Shudder.

So after doing my research, I took the plunge and began a massive project to refinish the floors on the first level of my home. The living room was first. I sold the living room set, moved some of the furniture from other rooms in, and turned the room into a library. This room is also known as the Room of Misfit Decorative Items. When I was growing up, my father's study was home to a variety of abandoned decorative items. The new library reminds me of my childhood homes.

Most of the knick knacks come from clearance bins and thrift stores. Almost nothing matches, and I like that. It's fun arranging disparate items in such a way that they really work together. The curtains came from $2/yard fabric I purchased from Wal-Mart. Lamps were collected from family and garage sales. The various wall hangings are mostly sentimental items, things I grew up with or things that have special meaning for me for other reasons.

This is now one of my favorite rooms. My son has the chair with "hijo" over it, and I sprawl on the matching love seat. I feel like I'm being hugged whenever I hang out in there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home