Purple Grackle

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The replacements.



I sold my living room set a couple of months ago. I never liked it, it was way to formal for my taste, and it had never been used (in four years).

I divided my remaining furniture between the family room and the living room, which then became the library. I still needed some kind of chairs, and I found these blue velvet ones at the Metrocrest Thrift Store for $50/pair.

I love them! They are so, so beautiful. Eventually, I will get them reupholstered or slipcovered, or do one of the two myself. I've seen stretch denim slipcovers online for about $60, and I think that would bring down the level of formality for these chairs, while still emphasizing their wonderful shape.

Curtains for this room have been a problem. I haven't seen anything I like, not even tablecloths that could be dressed up and used. Very annoying. I think I may wind up buying plain white canvas or duck curtains, and maybe dyeing and painting them. The blue fabric at the windows now is just something I picked up at IKEA for $3 in the "As Is" area. I don't know if they were meant to be bedspreads, tablecloths, or what. I can't wait to take the ugly blinds down. I really and truly hate 1" alumininum blinds. The ones at the window were custom-made for $300 and are ugly, ugly.

I have quite a few custom pieces in my house now. Not because I wanted everything custom--but usually I couldn't find exactly what I wanted for a price I was willing to pay.

2 Comments:

  • I love the velvet! I wouldn't recover it!

    But then, my favorite piece of furniture ever is a green velvet footstool in desperate need of re-upholstery.

    (I'm Laurie from New Cafe, btw)

    By Blogger Laurie K, at 10:04 AM  

  • Thanks, Laurie! For now, I'm calling it Shabby Chic.

    By Blogger Erin, at 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home